Buying a home is one of the biggest and scariest decisions you can make, which is why we do everything we can to help. We will most likely become good friends along the way and have a lot of fun, but before we go any further let us answer a few questions that we all have when buying a home.
1. Meet for a CoffeeLike we said, we find it is best to find a time to meet in person and have a conversation. This initial conversation is your chance to get to know us, and our chance to get to know you! If we like each other that’s a good start!
2. Get Pre-Qualified for a MortgageA big mistake many home buyers make is that they begin to look at homes before they get pre-qualified. That’s why before we begin on our journey, we will suggest that you meet with your preferred lender or mortgage broker. Don’t have one? Don’t worry, we have a list of professionals that we have worked with in the past and we would happily recommend. Once you have completed this step, we will then know exactly what price of homes we should be looking at allowing us to view each property with confidence!
3. What’s on your Wishlist?Once we have your pre-approval in-hand, we can get to the fun stuff and go for another coffee to start talking about what you need and want in your next home. This is our chance to think big and capture all of your ideas first. From there, we will start to build your initial search. At this point, we will be sure to tell you how we will cast as wide a net as possible to make sure we capture every possible listing available. This way you can rest assured you are not missing out on “the one”. We will also sign some paperwork stating that we will be working together.
4. Previewing Properties with Online ListingsUsing your Wishlist, we will create an automatic online search which will send you listings as they hit the market. That’s right, you can stop searching online, we send everything to you! Upon viewing these listings, you will be able to favorite and comment directly with us, telling us which properties you would like to see in-person. Generally speaking, we suggest that you limit your first in-person viewings to a maximum of five properties as after that in one session, it can all start to blur together!
5. Viewing PropertiesOnce you have selected some properties that interest you, we will begin to schedule showings of those properties. We will take you to these properties or meet you there (yes, your friends and family can come), show you around and ensure that you have all of the information that you need. Sometimes we look at a lot of properties before we get to the next step. Sometimes, we look at one. It all depends on you and we are happy to guide you through this, no matter how long it takes.
6. Make an OfferYou will know it when it happens. You walk into the home and…this is the one! It is time to make an offer. We will head back to our office and do a few very important things:
- We will conduct a comparable value assessment to ensure that the asking price is reasonable and give you an idea of the range of prices that we could consider with our offer.
- We will discuss additional items in the offer such as:
- Goods Included
- Closing or Possession Date
- Conditions and Terms
- Once we have this together, we will complete our offer and we will send it to the listing agent.